The Green Cloud Project: Innovative Solutions for Energy-Efficient Cloud Computing
Traditionally, high-performance computing (HPC) community has focused on performance (speed). Since early 2000, several companies have started building Data Centers inspired by commodity HPC (cluster computing) systems-architecture for hosting/powering industrial applications including search engines such as Google. At the same time microprocessor vendors have not only doubled the number of transistors (and speed) every 18-24 months, but they have also doubled the power densities. That is, the tremendous increase in computer performance has come with an even grater increase in power usage. As a result operational cost of HPC systems including industrial Data Centre is rapidly growing. This is reflected from a statement by CEO of Google (Eric Schmit): "what matter most to Google is not speed but power, because data centers can consume as much electricity as a city."
The aim of Green Cloud Project is to develop high-end computing systems such as Clusters, Data Centers, and Clouds that allocate resources to applications hosting Internet services (e-Services) to meet not only users' quality of service requirements, but also minimise consumption of electric power. That is to, to improve power management and consumption by dynamically managing and configuring power-aware ability of system devices, such as processors, disks, and communication links.
Team Members @ Melbourne CLOUDS Lab
- Prof. Rajkumar Buyya
- Ms. Atefeh Khosravi
- Dr. Adel Nadjaran Toosi
- Mr. Minxian Xu
- Alumni: Dr. Anton Beloglazov, Dr.Sareh Fotuhi, Dr. Rodrigo N. Calheiros
- Dr. Lachlan Andrew, Swinburne University of Technology.
- Dr. Adam Wierman, California Institute of Technology (CalTech), USA.
- Dr. Chee Shin Yeo, A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing (iHPC), Singapore.
- Dr. Kyong Hoon Kim, Korea.
- Dr. Jemal Abawajy, Deakin University, Australia
- Prof. Albert Zomaya, The University of Sydney, Australia.
- Kyong Hoon Kim, Rajkumar Buyya and Jong Kim, Power Aware Scheduling of Bag-of-Tasks Applications with Deadline Constraints on DVS-enabled Clusters, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid 2007, IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, CA, USA), May 14-17, 2007, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Kyong Hoon Kim, Anton Beloglazov, and Rajkumar Buyya, Power-aware Provisioning of Cloud Resources for Real-time Services, Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Middleware for Grids, Clouds and e-Science (MGC 2009), ACM Press, Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA, Dec. 1, 2009.
- Saurabh Kumar Garg and Rajkumar Buyya, Exploiting Heterogeneity in Grid Computing for Energy-Efficient Resource Allocation, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2009), Bengaluru, India, Dec. 14-18, 2009.
- Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, Energy Efficient Resource Management in Virtualized Cloud Data Centers, Doctoral Symposium, Proceedings of the 10th EEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid 2010), Melbourne, Australia, May 17-20, 2010.
- Rajkumar Buyya, Anton Beloglazov, and Jemal Abawajy, Energy-Efficient Management of Data Center Resources for Cloud Computing: A Vision, Architectural Elements, and Open Challenges, Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA2010), Las Vegas, USA, July 12-15, 2010.
- Kyong Hoon Kim, Wan Yeon Lee, Jong Kim, and Rajkumar Buyya, SLA-Based Scheduling of Bag-of-Tasks Applications on Power-Aware Cluster Systems, IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, Volume E93-D, Number 12, Pages: 3194-3201, ISSN: 0916-8532, Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) Press, Tokyo, Japan, Dec. 2010.
- Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, Adaptive Threshold-Based Approach for Energy-Efficient Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers, Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Middleware for Grids, Clouds and e-Science (MGC 2010, ACM Press, New York, USA), In conjunction with ACM/IFIP/USENIX 11th International Middleware Conference 2010, Bangalore, India, November 29 - December 3, 2010.
- Anton Beloglazov, Rajkumar Buyya, Young Choon Lee, and Albert Zomaya, A Taxonomy and Survey of Energy-Efficient Data Centers and Cloud Computing Systems, Advances in Computers, Volume 82, 47-111pp, M. Zelkowitz (editor), ISBN: 978-0-12-385512-1, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, March 2011.
- Saurabh Kumar Garg, Chee Shin Yeo, Arun Anandasivam, and Rajkumar Buyya, Environment-Conscious Scheduling of HPC Applications on Distributed Cloud-oriented Data Centers, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Volume 71, Number 6, Pages: 732-749, ISSN: 0743-7315, Elsevier Press, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 2011.
- Saurabh Kumar Garg, Chee Shin Yeo, and Rajkumar Buyya, Green Cloud Framework For Improving Carbon Efficiency of Clouds, Proceedings of the 17th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (EuroPar 2011, LNCS, Springer, Germany), Bordeaux, France, August 29-September 2, 2011.
- Kyong Hoon Kim, Anton Beloglazov, and Rajkumar Buyya, Power-aware Provisioning of Virtual Machines for Real-time Cloud Services, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Volume 23, Number 13, Pages: 1491-1505, ISSN: 1532-0626, Wiley Press, New York, USA, September 10, 2011.
- Anton Beloglazov, Jemal Abawajy, and Rajkumar Buyya, Energy-Aware Resource Allocation Heuristics for Efficient Management of Data Centers for Cloud Computing, Future Generation Computer Systems, Volume 28, No. 5, Pages: 755-768, ISSN: 0167-739X, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, May 2012.
- Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, Optimal Online Deterministic Algorithms and Adaptive Heuristics for Energy and Performance Efficient Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, Volume 24, No. 13, Pages: 1397-1420, ISSN: 1532-0626, Wiley Press, New York, USA, September 10, 2012.
- Saurabh Garg and Rajkumar Buyya, Green Cloud Computing and Environmental Sustainability, Harnessing Green IT: Principles and Practices, 315-340pp, S. Murugesan and G. Gangadharan (eds), ISBN: 978-1-1199-7005-7, Wiley Press, UK, October 2012.
- Anton Beloglazov and Rajkumar Buyya, Managing Overloaded Hosts for Dynamic Consolidation of Virtual Machines in Cloud Data Centers Under Quality of Service Constraints, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Volume 24, No. 7, Pages: 1366-1379, ISSN: 1045-9219, IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, July 2013.
- Atefeh Khosravi, Saurabh Kumar Garg, and Rajkumar Buyya, Energy and Carbon-Efficient Placement of Virtual Machines in Distributed Cloud Data Centers, Proceedings of the 19th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par 2013, Springer, Berlin, Germany), Aachen, Germany, August 26-30, 2013.
- Tom Guerout, Thierry Monteil, Georges Da Costa, Rodrigo Neves Calheiros, Rajkumar Buyya, Mihai Alexandru, Energy-aware simulation with DVFS, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, ISSN: 1569-190X, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2013. (in press, accepted on April 30, 2013).
- Green Supercomputing Comes of Age
- Wikipedia on Green IT
- Blog on Green IT/Broadband and Cyber-infrastructure
- Make IT Green: Cloud Computing and its Contribution to Climate Change